What do I need to know?
Eligibility & Requirements
- Home must be primary residence, and homeowner must provide proof of ownership. Only one registration per household.
- Eligible property types include single and semi-detached houses, rowhomes, mobile
homes, low-rise multi-unit residential buildings2 and mixed-use buildings2. Learn more
Get Started in 4 Easy Steps
- Register for the program:
Quebec: https://transitionenergetique.gouv.qc.ca/residentiel/programmes/renoclimat Nova Scotia: https://www.efficiencyns.ca/residential/programs-services/home-energy-assessment/
All Others: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficiency/homes/canada-greener-homes-grant/23441
- Contact a service organization with an EnerGuide inspector to complete an EnerGuide evaluation. The homeowner pays up front for pre- and post-retrofit evaluations; up to $600 total is eligible for reimbursement.
- Review EnerGuide inspector’s list of eligible measures and complete at least one recommended retrofit.
- Submit receipts and forms for reimbursement and track the rebate payment.
Important Program Information
- Homeowner must provide receipts for the pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluations, as well as invoices and receipts for purchased products and the cost of the installation.
- All products must be purchased in Canada; online purchases are eligible only if ordered from an online distributor in Canada.
- Windows/doors must be on an eligible list (see document link below).
- Maintain ENERGY STAR labels on products until after the post-retrofit evaluation.
- A new window unit can be inserted into the existing frame of an old window, but replacements of only the glass, sash or door without a frame are not eligible.
- A maximum of $250 per rough opening, up to a total of $5,0004 for overall project.
Gentek Windows Qualify!
Gentek's Regency 400, Regency and 80 Series windows, can be tailored with a variety of ENERGY STAR-qualified glass packages in order to qualify for the program. Please consult your Gentek representative for the best glass package for your home and climate conditions.
1$5,000 is the total maximum rebate for implementation of eligible retrofits done after December 1, 2020. Grants cannot exceed the cost of the individual measures displayed on the invoice. Grants cover the tax amount as well as the base cost.
2Multi-unit residential buildings (over three stories or 600 m2 in footprint) are not eligible under this initiative.
3EnerGuide evaluations completed prior to December 1, 2020, are not eligible for reimbursement. Homeowners must continue through the full Greener Homes Grant process in order to be eligible for reimbursement of the pre-retrofit evaluation.
4Windows and doors grants are calculated on a rough opening basis. The allocated grant amount is the same as for a home. MURBs can install as many windows and/or doors up to a total of $5,000 per homeowner and a maximum of $20,000 per MURB.